CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Thursday, September 18, 2008

red party, blue party, can i be in the black party?

people ask theirfellow blogers in zion questions and people answer. soooo, here's my million dollar question. . .
why is the vast majority of the mormon population republican??? i am so not a political expert but what i've gathered is that "evil" dems are for social programs, welfare, education, pro-environment, taxing the wealthy, gun control, agency(isn't that what side we chose and won the grand prize of this life anyway?). i don't get it. i really and truly don't. doesn't our doctrine say something of the law of consecration and we're supposed to be willing to sacrifice all our wordly possessions? then what's the big deal on taxation? why do red neck mormons love their guns so much? guns kill people! i definitely am for strict, strict gun control. i get that abortion and gay marriage can be very polarizing and a very sensitive subject. i have my own personal opinions but i'm not going to go there today. ask me in person and i just might tell ya! well, i'll give you a little hint, is it so wrong that ellen is so happy right now? can we really know what gay people feel and deny them their shot at happiness? am i missing something? am i going to get excommunicated? politicians in general are scuzy crappy people with little to no ethics. they all have affairs, they all live in mansions, they all point fingers, most seem self-righteous etc. etc. i am not claiming any answers, because i don't have any. i just don't get the whole blind faith of so many of the people i'm surrounded by have. is it the lesser of two evils mentality? is anyone getting riled up? am i a complete moron? have i missed the point? is there a point? should i just delete this post and follow the crowd? somebody help me!!!!

10 comments:

Sammy Pow said...

Whoa unto the Democrat, for he shall be thrust down to hell. Isn't that how the scripture goes?

Grawwma and Grawpa are dems, and they're the best Mormons in our lineage.

Baby Bling said...

AMEN SISTER!!!! I have a HUGE issue with the tie between the church and the republican party. I prefer to keep those major issues to myself for fear of being blacklisted, but I will give you one. Why are people so against government provided healthcare? We are one of the only governments that don't provide it. Isn't it a basic right that everyone should have? Granted I am a little biased since we are self-employed and have to pay almost $500 a month for insurance that we hardly ever have to use (thankfully) and it sure would be nice to keep that in my pocket. It just seems a little unfair that people who choose not to work and have no income can get the medical attention they need but working citizen, trying to support their families, often go without becasue they can't pay. Something is wrong with that! If you haven't seen "Sicko"(by the "lunatic" Michael Moore) you should see it. It'll make you even more frustrated! I've heard it argued the "we don't want the government to be involved in our health, that is too much control" WHAT?! Most of us with kids in public school let the government decide what to teach our kids. What's the difference?

Erin said...

I think that people are lying if they don't admit that politics makes them CRAZY! (As you so exibited!)

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to support a President the way we do a prophet? What would that be like? Having the spirit witness to you that Said President is the True President?

Anyway, I try not to go by color, I really do trust my insticts and go by how I feel and who I think I could trust more.

That said...I'm leaning Red this round. So Shoot me with your legal gun! (Joke)

Sammy Pow said...

ha ha, people are too scared to post!

Baby Bling said...

I must be checking back as often as Brian....I think you're blacklisted.

Alifinale said...

Ok, so I didn't respond right away - but that is because I am apolitical. As with anything confrontational, I hate politics. However, I agree that I think it is ridiculous that so many people in Zion follow the crowd and don't even think about the issues. At least I don't pretend to care one way or another without knowing what it is about.

I think that extremes on either side are stupid (my dad being the extreme right and it frightens me) so can I be in the black party with you?

{lizzythebotanist} said...

agh. i hate politics. i hate racial issues. i hate this whole election year and can't wait (?) for it to all be over. i don't even know what i think anymore, except that i keep finding that the few times i think i do and say it out loud it starts an uproar (unless it's just me, you & steven), so i just keep my mouth shut. it's all so confusing. we'll talk sunday when our Desperate parties (and pauses for venting) start up again!

Julie H. said...

I love that you posed this question. Well, you posed many many, questions. And I did my best to answer each. Unfortunately, I ended up writing a very, very long essay, which I have now sent to your email. Read it! I am sorry for its length.

Your ultimate frustration seems to be a lack of knowledge from the Mormon population in general. Based on the comments, people respond emotionally. While I'm as guilty of this as the next person, how do you get to the core of the issues if you don't dig and get past the rhetoric of what sounds good? --This is the problem nationwide and why people really don't how to vote!

Shannon said...

Why don't we just start the "Pink Party" where only women can run for office and mom's rule the world!!

Shelly Bean said...

holly....you are funny. seriously... so true. it is so frustrating. everyone just bails out and says it doesn't matter in Utah who you vote for. Well, the primary wasn't so black and white this year. Many people are not educated and could care less on what is going on. Yes politicians are slimy... but we don't have to be! People should listen to what is being said and realize they can't know everything...but can at least make some effort on deciding for themselves!